Friday, February 25, 2011

Dancing with Deceit

I have pretty good instincts, I'm discovering. And when something doesn't sit right with me, dirty laundry has a way of coming to the top of the hamper, shall we say. In this case, it was a couple of little white lies that I haven't decided what to do with yet. But it irks me. Why do people feel the need to be dishonest? Are these lies inconsequential, or do they hide something more substantial? Is the liar in question a basically good person who chose to hide a couple of things rather than give a rational explanation for them? Or are they actually not to be trusted at all? I guess only time will tell...but my radar is now on alert, as it should be. Burn me once, burn me twice, and so on...

Don't get me wrong, I'm not intending to come across as perfect or holier-than-thou. Lord knows I have my share of faults and have been guilty of bending the truth myself on occasion, like everyone else on this planet. But overall I pride myself on being honest and trustworthy. In other words, I know my own character and intentions...but how well can you ever really know someone else's?

I generally think you either trust people until they give you a reason not to or you trust no one until they prove themselves worthy of it. I tend to do a little of both, depending on the vibes someone gives me. However, I have also noticed that I have the tendency to see the good in people to the extent of giving more credit than is due a lot of the time...which makes me question myself at times like this and wonder if I am being too naive and trusting. But I am not one to judge quickly or harshly and believe people generally have reasonable motives for their actions (there are always exceptions, of course), so it creates a bit of an internal conundrum.

Time will tell, as I said. In the meantime, I have to decide whether to confront this person and ask for clarification for the untruths or let them go and keep my observations to myself for now. Tough decision in some ways. I don't want to jump to the wrong conclusions and I also really don't respect or appreciate being lied to. On the other hand, I don't want to put this person on the defensive for several reasons.

Ah well, at least I know I'd make a damn fine detective. Perhaps a new career choice if teaching falls through...?

No comments:

Post a Comment