Thursday, February 17, 2011

How Can This Happen?

I was browsing through news articles this morning (something I - shockingly - rarely do) and the headline "State had been warned about abused dead girl, injured boy found in truck" caught my attention. So I read the article. And it is very disturbing.

I don't understand how people could possess so much cruelty within them - and to inflict it upon children is even more despicable. I also don't understand how it is that these children, sadly, continue to slip through the cracks and suffer neglect and abuse for so long with no one the wiser - or with people being aware of it and no one doing anything to stop it, which is even worse. I can't believe that the people in a position to put an end to these children's misery failed to do their job and a little girl lost her life because of it.

Granted, there are two (or three, depending on how you look at it) sides to every story. There is the possibility that child welfare workers are overwhelmed with their workload or any number of other contributing factors that may make it more difficult to do their job efficiently. However, if that is the case, then obviously the root problems need to be addressed.

No comments:

Post a Comment