Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Shadow of the Dog

I may have spoken too soon...the shadow of The Dog has been creeping around with me all day. When I awoke, it was with thoughts of The Labradorian once again. I reasoned with myself and talked myself into and out of calling him a dozen times. Then I reminded myself that it is not a good idea to make any decisions when I'm not feeling like myself...so that will keep me from acting on any impulses today.

After lunch, feelings of despair, frustration, irritation, and loneliness overtook me and I had a cry. A friend wisely recommended that I stop waiting for my life to begin again and instead go out there, grab it, and suck everything I can from it. Yes, wise words. They filled me with hope, determination, and a renewed sense of possibility. For about a split second. Then The Dog's shadow fell over me once more. It stayed with me throughout the afternoon, while I gave intermittent half-hearted attempts at fighting back and 'acting as if,' as a fellow blogger recently referred to it.

I found myself roaming restlessly and aimlessly through my mother's house, only to wind up back on the couch hugging a pillow and gazing out the window at the leaves dancing in the breeze under a sun I have longed for days to see and could not bring myself to enjoy as tears streamed down my face.

Every ounce of effort was needed to speak in response when spoken to at supper this evening. We went to my aunt's for a barbecue and I, not myself at all, but the empty, lifeless shell that remains when his black shadow overtakes me, did my best to stay out of everyone's way and appear as normal as I could manage. At first opportunity, I escaped back to my mother's empty house to be alone again.

I hope one day soon I figure out exactly how to go out and grab life again. To finally get from it what I want and fill myself to the brim.

No comments:

Post a Comment