Thursday, January 14, 2010

The Continuing Plight of the Cod

While perusing the web today, I happened to find myself at Our Place in Canada - The Newfoundland Experiment. As I scrolled down the page, this post caught my attention. Now, I am the first to admit that I do not follow the news regularly and have not been diligently keeping tabs on the cod stocks or their management by any stretch of the imagination. So, my first reaction to "The Cod are Back! (But it's not ours anymore)" was "What? You must be joking!"...then I followed the link at the end of the post, which lead me to this. Again, my reaction was along the lines of "You're kidding...You have to be." I am just dumbfounded that our government could be so....for lack of a better word...DUMB (wait, scratch that...I suppose I shouldn't be surprised considering some of the other harebrained schemes they have hatched and followed through on)! Anyway, this information (while probably not news to most Newfoundlanders, Labradorians and ex-pats, is new to me and) has me truly choked (and also motivated to re-educate myself about the whole issue). So, rather than say too much about that which I know relatively little at the moment, I urge all of you to check it out for yourselves and make your voices heard if it is not already too late.

No comments:

Post a Comment