Friday, March 11, 2011

Inconsequential Hurts

Who am I kidding? I'm not over it. I am not cold and heartless. I want to be strong. I want to say that I could care less that I'll probably never see or hear from the cheater again. And part of me wants it that way and knows that's what's best...and that dealing with this now is much better than the pain I would be feeling if I had continued seeing him and gotten closer to him. Of course I know that. But it doesn't stop the fact that I miss him. Even though I know he wasn't who I thought he was. Even though I know I did the right thing and that he didn't give a rat's ass about me, which cuts me to the quick sometimes if I'm honest. I miss him. I miss talking to him and laughing with him. I miss his eyes, his voice, his scent, his touch, his smile and his kisses. I miss his arms around me. It is so hard to admit that because at the same time, I look at the reality of the situation and I am disgusted with myself for feeling that way. The time we spent together, perfect as it was, was a total illusion. How can someone come across so genuine and innocent and be doing something so deceitful the whole time? How can any part of me be mourning the loss of someone like that? I wonder how it all was for him. I wonder if he's even given me so much as a passing thought and whether he's considered contacting me, if only to say goodbye. I don't like this feeling of weakness...but I also know these moments are fleeting and will pass. I guess on the upside, at least they show me that despite everything I am not yet totally bitter and jaded. Soon enough, this won't matter to me at all.

In the meantime, I put all that in perspective by looking at what's been going on in the world in the past 24 hours and it seems silly to even put the time into writing about it. There are far bigger things to worry about than being disappointed by wanting something that was never going to materialize anyway. I'm alive. I'm safe. I'm warm and clothed and fed and have a roof over my head, for starters. Any complaints or hurts seem rather trivial in comparison to not having those needs met. And I don't want to be a whiner. Besides, I'm sure it's just karma's way of keeping me free for bigger and better things. And just like that things don't seem so bad anymore...fleeting moment of weakness conquered. One step at a time, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment