Saturday, January 9, 2010

Building a Fitness Arsenal

Like a lot of others, I have hit the harsh wall of post-holiday reality - in the form of the bathroom scale. Ouch. I knew this was coming and it was my own fault, but the time has come to do something about it...again. What this means at the moment is that (although I am still proceeding to stuff my face with leftover holiday goodies) in a bid to combat the effects of overindulgence (and since I have yet to overcome my gym phobia and do not particularly enjoy frequent walking in the wintertime), I am attempting to revive my home workout program (and I use that term loosely).

I jump started this initiative by spending countless hours sitting in front of the computer frustratedly researching what's available and indecisively polling friends. A little silly and excessive, I admit, but I wanted to spend money wisely instead of impulsively making purchases. The next step was to buff up my collection of workout DVDs. So, in addition to the likes of Leslie Sansone (I have a bunch of her Walk off the Pounds DVDs), Michelle Dozois (Pilates Plus is one of my staples, although I have it on VHS and would really like to get the DVD version), Jillian Michaels, Billy Blanks and Jennifer Pohlman (the latter two are definitely NOT among my faves) who I have collected over the past 10 years, multiple new videos starring Rodney Yee, Jennifer Kries, Debbie Siebers, Shiva Rea and the Yoga Zone crew (as well as some new ones featuring the old assortment of trainers) have now moved in to grace my shelves. I admit I may have went a little crazy with it - more than doubling my fitness DVD collection in a few days, but the theory is that if I can outsmart my tendency to become bored (therefore quickly giving up), I might actually be able to develop and sustain a routine that lasts more than a couple of weeks.

So far, while I still intend to throw a few of the old standbys into the mix again eventually, I have tried them all except the new Jennifer Kries' pilates routine (which hasn't yet arrived from Chapters...or was it Amazon?) and have had mixed reactions. Of the new ones (most of which are yoga based, which is all new to me), I have to say I am finding the Yoga Zones and Debbie Siebers easiest to follow as a newbie. The others are enjoyable as well, but I will probably leave them on the shelf until I become better acquainted with yogic practices. However, I have to say, finding Mariel Hemingway on some of the Rodney Yee vids was a little disturbing and I don't think her segments will become part of the regular rotation.

The bottom line is that I am beginning to feel better; more flexible and energized, already, and that I have enough fresh material to rotate through to keep me going for a long time without it feeling stagnant. That has to be a step in the right direction, doesn't it? I am also finding that the yoga DVDs are self-motivating, meaning that I don't have to work too hard at convincing myself to get up and do them. That is also a bonus (although I have to wonder if it will continue to be that way once the novelty wears off) which I intend to make the most of while it lasts.

Most importantly, I am breaking my holiday routine of inactivity-while-feeling-lonely-and-sorry-for-myself...which was totally not healthy...and I am thinking that if I could find the will and determination to stop smoking 4 1/2 years ago and make it last, this is totally do-able. Perhaps 2010 will be the year that I finally stick with it and see ongoing results instead of my habitual yearly round of follow the yo-yo with that pesky 15 pounds that just will not quit. Of course, I also have to break the bad eating habits I have allowed myself to slip into over the past couple of months as well, but one step at a time - right?

No comments:

Post a Comment